Galveston Island Horse & Pony rides (GIHPR) is a locally owned and run, family oriented trail riding operation. We are located on the beautiful island of Galveston, TX and have proudly been in business since July, 2015. We are passionate about horses and serving the public by providing a unique, fun, and educational experience unlike any other. Our GIHPR family are eager to make new friends and share this opportunity with the public.
You can find us in the East Beach Park at the very east end of the island. East Beach park offers a very large, beautiful family beach with free parking or beachfront parking, a pavilion with amenities and accommodations, a peaceful bird sanctuary, and areas for fishing and swimming.
Summer Time Business Hours (August-September): Wednesday - Sunday: 11:00 am - Sunset
Off Season Business Hours: Friday - Sunday: 11:00 am - Sunset
- $15 Horseback photos
- $25 10 minute pony ride
- $50 30 minute guided beach ride
- $70 60 minute guided beach ride
- $100 75 minute private sunset ride
- Call for wedding, party, and photography services
All prices are final. We take very good care of our horses and charge accordingly.
!The horses Thank you for your business!
- Military, Police officer, first responder, and loyalty discounts
- Must have proof of service (Military ID, Badge, EMT card)
- Discount applies to individual only
What to expect:
- Our facility is located on the farthest south-east part of the East beach parking area, approximately 150 ft from the shoreline. We are directly behind the first lifeguard tower, just west of the seabird/sea turtle sanctuary.
- We are closest to the east entrance of East Beach, from Boddecker Rd. Free parking is available at the entrance of the park, approximately 200 yards from our location.
- There is a pavilion with restrooms and concessions available on location. NOTE: if the pavilion is closed, there are no accommodation within walking distance. It is advised to bring your own refreshments just in case!
- Proper attire: protect yourself from the elements at all times! the heat index can reach into the 100s during the summer months. dress comfortably for the conditions. We are a walk only trail business, so saddle rash is a minimal concern. No flip-flops: Shoes that will stay on your feet is a must.
- The ride: The riding trail follows the shoreline around the outskirts of the East Beach sea-turtle/seabird sanctuary!The trail starts on the Far south-east edge of the parking area, behind the 1st lifeguard tower. The trail passes right by the South jetty on the furthest south-east tip of the island and goes on around to the ship-channel side of the beach. The trail includes a beautiful natural lagoon, teaming with wildlife on one side, and a serene beach on the other side.Due to the sea turtle and bird refuge, there are no vehicles permitted in this area, so no more risk of an accident involving careless drivers. Due to the dangerous currents in the ship channel, no swimming is permitted in this area. This ordinance greatly reduces the amount of people in the are to make for a more private riding experience.
- To get an idea of the experience check out the trail rides on our YouTube channel!
Lt. Pete Alcocer
-Experienced horseman & horse lover
-Galveston Police Department
-GPD Mounted Commander
-Professional Horsewoman & horse lover
-Bachelor of Science: Biology/Equine Science
-Master's of Science: Biology/Biotechnology
-RUSVM Veterinary Student
-Galveston Island Beach Patrol